Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Chinese Learning

The more I study Mandarin the more I appreciate how logical the language is.

Here are a few examples:
  Patriotism: 爱国 (ai guo)
      爱 ai means love and 国 guo means country.
       So patriotism in Chinese is literally "love country".

  Significant: 重要 (zhong yao)
    重 (zhong) means considerable and 要 (yao) means importance.

  Classroom: 教师 (jiao shi)
    教 (jiao) means instruct or teach and 师 (shi) mean room.
    So the classroom is the instruction room.

  Innovation:  革新 (ge xin)
       革 (ge) means change or transform
        新(xin) means new

  受骗 (shou pian): means to be deceived or fooled
      受 (shou) means suffer  and 骗 (pian) means cheat or swindle
      People who are deceived are suffering after being swindled.


As I learn to read and recognize more characters, I am often able to deduce the meaning from new words because I know one part of the character. Thankful for my increasing literacy level.

No comments:

Post a Comment