Saturday, May 9, 2015

Strength in Numbers



           I have been reflecting recently on the power of diversity found in community.  We were designed to be in relationship, to learn from others.  There is such strength found when different people are intentional about bringing their best to the table. Everyone was created with different skill sets and abilities.  I know that I have many wonderful attributes to contribute to any group of people, but my skills alone are not sufficient.  I need other people to bring their best so that I can more fully experience all the attributes of our Father. 
Gifts mixes are designed to work together.  On a recent trip to Shanghai, I became sick and my friend Emily and I ended up needing to reschedule our flight.  Emily is one the most compassionate and attentive people I have the pleasure of knowing.  I could not have had a better person to help take care of me when I was feeling ill.  As Emily was helping us reschedule our flight and making sure I had water and a comfortable place to sit, I suddenly remembered that Emily had checked baggage and her bag was about to leave for Shanghai without her.  [Honestly, it seemed like that was the only coherent thought I had during the entire night]. Emily was able to inform the fight staff in enough time to keep her bag from traveling across the country without her.  When we finally on the way to Shanghai and immune systems were back in full swing, Emily and I started laughing about how my attention to detail was crucial in that situation.  That skill is so ingrained in me that it came out even while I was not operating at my best.  Attention to detail, however, is no comfort.  I needed Emily’s compassion just as much as she needed her bag. 
While this is a small example, it reminded me of the importance of relationship and appreciating differences.  What do I miss by not asking for help, allowing others to speak into my life.  What aspects of our Father’s character do I not see because I am focused on myself and what I can do well?  How could our communities, fellowships, families change if we actively celebrated our diversity?

No comments:

Post a Comment