Thursday, June 4, 2015

Convicted



Today is a solemn day here. A day to reflect on those who bravely stood up for their beliefs. A time to celebrate how much progress has been made.  Today I have been thinking a lot about persecution. Every day people are persecuted for their political, social and religious beliefs.  I am inordinately lucky to have been born in a country that legally provides for the existence of multiple religions and political parties. Millions of people around the globe are not so fortunate.  As I reflect on my level of privilege, I am convicted by the infrequence of my thoughts towards those who are persecuted.  Right now there are people who are currently dying for their faith.  Right now there are people who are being excluded from society because they are “other”.   It is too easy for me to be focused on my own problems, to moan about the minor inconveniences of my life. There are people literally dying for their beliefs.  What right do I have to complain? What right do I have to be annoyed by all the choices in front of me? Having choice means I have the freedom to make my own decision.  It means that I have the right to act, with no limitations placed on me because of my religious classification.


I am convicted today to spend more time interceding for my sisters and brothers around the world who are persecuted.  I am convicted by my own selfishness.  I am too focused on myself to stand in solidarity with those who are risking it all for Him.  May He give me the words to say and a heart that is more broken for His suffering children.

No comments:

Post a Comment