Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Building Bridges



Yesterday was the last day of Eid, the celebration to celebrate the end of Ramadan and a month of fasting.  Eid is the biggest holiday and religious festival for Muslims, like Easter is for Christians.  New clothing, making favorite dishes, and celebrating with friends and family are central to celebrations of both major religious holidays.

I had the privilege of visiting my Muslim friends yesterday to celebrate Eid.  While visiting, a new family to the community began asking questions about Christianity. He has never asked a person from another faith what they believed before. He knew what the Qur’an talked about the Prophet Isa (Jesus), but was uncomfortable with some of the things that surrounded Isa’s life.  He then proceeded to ask me and my friend about our beliefs.  He wanted to clarify our theology.  A common misconception for Muslims is  Jesus’ birth.  In the Qur’an the word to describe Mary’s miraculous conception is the same word used to describe the physical act of conception.  Because of this wording, many Muslims believe that God and Mary had a physical relationship that resulted in Jesus or that God and Mary were actually married.  Obviously it is a horrendous idea to think that the Creator of the universe had physical relations with a human being.  As I explained that Isa’s conception was a miracle, not a physical act, my friend began to nod his head in approval. 

Next he ask why Christians believe in 3 gods.  Again, a common misunderstanding because of inaccurate translations of key words.  The Qur’an often refers to the “Breath of Allah”, something close to the movement of the Spirit. I said that much like in the Qur’an when you read “The Breath” you know it is talking about Allah, when I read the name of Father, Isa/Son or the Spirit I know the word is talking about God. As I explained that we believed in one God, with 3 different names to help us better understand the various aspects of His character, I could see him physically relax.  

After he asked a few more questions, he smiled and said “Our religions have much more in common than I thought.” I wholeheartedly agreed with his statement.  Not to say that there are not major differences between our religions, but we have more common ground than most people assume--the Prophet Isa is highly respected in the Qur’an.  He said that he no longer considers Christians infidels because we believe in blasphemous things.  It was such a great statement to hear.  This brief, twenty, minute conversation did so much to overcoming prejudice, misunderstanding and judgement for others beliefs.  Clarifying my beliefs and emphasizing the commonalities between our faiths built a bridge that is going to allow for deeper relationship. 

Today I received a message from my friend thanking more for clarifying my beliefs.  He said that we can truly be brothers and sisters now because we have so much in common.  Praise Him for a great conversation and the more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment